What are the Main Causes of Semi-Truck Accidents on Our Illinois Interstates?
At the Mancini Law Group, P.C., our truck accident attorneys in Chicago know how frightening it can be to travel alongside an 18-wheeler on our Illinois roadways. The reality is, because of the size and weight differential between a semi-truck and a passenger vehicle, it is the public — traveling to work, school, running errands, or just grabbing dinner and a movie — that often pays the price when these catastrophic collisions occur.
With major interstates, including I-55, I-57, I-80, I-88, I-90, I-94, and I-294, running through Illinois and our most populous cities, sharing the roads with semi-trucks is second nature to new and veteran drivers alike.
When truck drivers, trucking companies, or another third party’s negligence is a factor, people are going to get hurt or even killed.
If you have been injured in a collision with a semi-truck in Illinois or have tragically lost a loved one in a crash caused by negligence, we can help you hold the liable person, party, or combination of each responsible for your full financial recovery.
What are the Most Common Factors that Lead to Semi-Truck Accidents in Illinois?
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, there were nearly 120,000 truck accidents injuries that occurred nationwide last year.
What’s more, nearly 5,000 truck accident fatalities were reported by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration over the same period a figure that increased by 9% over the previous year.
Common factors that lead to semi-truck accidents throughout Illinois include, but are not limited to:
Truck driver negligence, including:
- Fatigued driving
- Driving distracted
- Speeding and traveling too fast for the conditions
- Failing to obey traffic signs and signals
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
Trucking company negligence, including:
- Failing to conduct driver background checks or required medical exams
- Hiring inexperienced drivers and failing to provide training
- Failing to ensure their drivers are following all Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration guidelines, which includes — but is not limited to — Hours of Service Regulations and logbook requirements
Third-party negligence, including that committed by:
- Cargo loaders
- Maintenance crews who fail to service the trucks properly
- Manufacturing companies failing to recall defective truck parts
Have You Been Hurt in an Illinois Semi-Truck Accident? We Can Help.
If you or someone you love has been injured by any form of negligence that occurred during a truck accident in Illinois, contact our experienced Cook County personal injury attorneys at Mancini Law Group P.C by phone at 773-745-1909 or online to schedule a free, confidential consultation to discuss your case today.